Welcome to our little bit of knitterly Heaven- I'm so glad you found your way here!
Our goal is to teach beginning knitters some tricks of the trade as well as to work enough swatches to have a finished afghan by the end of the year! Join along with us as we learn about patterns, cables, lace, and some other handy techniques! A new pattern will become available each month ranging from newbie to adventurous. So stop on by, pick your pattern and knit along with us!

All patterns can be found here as well as on Ravelry.com!

Sunday, October 28, 2012

31 Days At The Table: Lentil Tacos

Hello and welcome to Day 21 of the 31 Days At The Table challenge.  As you can see, I am still (slowly) catching up.  Hopefully, I will get this done over the next couple of days.  To all my knitter friends, I have a square for October done and plan on posting it on either Halloween or the first of November, whenever the challenge is done.
I have a meatless meal to share with you for this post.  I am a huge fan of lentils, and I'm pretty much willing to try any lentil dish.  When I saw this recipe, I have to say that I was rather intrigued.  I know that a lot of vegetarians use beans as a replacement for meat because of their high protein content.  These lentils were a great substitute for beef in these tacos.  They were well seasoned and rather tasty.  You can cook them for less time to end up with slightly crunchy lentils or cook them the whole time for a softer cooked bean texture.  Enjoy!
Slow Cooker Lentil Tacos
Recipe from Fix-It and Forget-It Lightly

Ingredients...
3/4 c chopped onion
1 clove garlic, minced
1 t canola oil
 1/2 lb dry lentils, washed
1 T chili powder
1/2 t cumin
1 t oregano
2 c chicken stock
2 c salsa
for serving-
taco shells or tortillas, avacado, lettuce, diced tomatoes, shredded cheese, cilantro, sour cream

Directions...
Sautee onions in oil until softened.  Add garlic, lentils and spices.  Cook stirring occasionally until the spices and garlic are fragrant.
Place lentils and chicken stock to a slow cooker.  Cover and cook for 5 1/2 hours on low.  Stir in salsa and replace lid.  Cook another 30 minutes until heated through.
Build your tacos by your preference. 

Enjoy
~Lindsey

One Year Ago...
Chicken Sausage Pizza

No comments:

Post a Comment